Thursday, February 17, 2011

Carrot over the stick

The other day my mind was wreaking havoc. So much turbulence and frustration welling up inside that I could not bear to look at the comp screen, or even listen to music on it. Strong desire to run away, from everything. Or tearing my hair apart, for reasons that floated about wearily. I've felt this way before. Every time I've tried a different trick to deal with it - usually talking to a close friend, taking a walk, having a cup of coffee, or writing. This time though, I just
suddenly felt like trying Mindfulness - effects of an article I'd recently read(a beautiful, compelling one - thanks to Nandu for passing it on! Find it here - http://www.lifepositive.com/Spirit/Buddhism/Miracle_Mindfulness.asp)

Decided to pick up a cool carrot straight out of the refrigerator. Peeled it quickly and sat down with it on a chair in my room, with the door shut. Next 5 minutes or so were spent entirely with the carrot - there was no world outside of us. I held it in my hand, gazed and stared at the different patterns of cream embedded just beneath the layer of the glistening red. I felt grateful that it existed and was with me at that moment. Took a small, crunchy bite. Felt my teeth gleefully crushing the juicy piece. Relished the taste thoroughly.

When I was done, the effect was instantaneous. The turbulence was replaced by a uniform calm. For the rest of the evening(and night), over conversations or thoughts that could've easily brought the frustration back, I felt serenity - like a thin wall of energy layering my consciousness, keeping negativity or angst from touching it. Felt powerful and at peace.

Mindfulness is grossly underestimated. And so are carrots.

3 comments:

Gaurav said...

As usual, well written :). Especially liked the description of serenity. I guess you write frequently. Suggest u share more frequently :)

Giddu said...

bugs bunny would approve of this.
so do i.

Akanksha said...

@'Gaurav' - Thanks, I do. :) And I will. :)

@Giddu - Meow!:D

CC License

Creative Commons License
This work by Akanksha Thakore Srikrishnan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License